Monday 7 November 2011

Ah Homesickness, I've been expecting you...

Well it had to arrive at some time, I think it started about a week ago, it wasn't really one thing that set it off although I am pretty sure that the fact that (TMI warning) my period started 2 days after arriving in Germany and due to a hormone imbalance I suffer from, it is still here almost 7 weeks later and not nice to deal with (TMI over) so I would be prone to teary out bursts at the best of times.

This weekend I think it was even more so because I was missing my favourite Autumn celebration, Guy Fawkes Night.  Nothing like eating sausages and hot soup outside while bundled up like a mummy in the warmest clothing you can find. Everyone huddled around the bonfire, signing your name with sparklers and watching fireworks, not just your own but the whole neighbourhoods. Milton Keynes holds a massive fireworks display every year in the centre of town at Campbell Park, when I was little it was always accompanied by classical music, with the bangs of the drums in sync with the bangs of the big rockets.  Thanks to youtube I have found this years display, the music isn't quite classical although Mad World is close, Take That however isn't.


The other thing is that I am bored almost all the time, and yet I have no energy to actually be bothered to do anything. Some days I find myself absent-mindedly checking my inbox 10 times in a row without visiting any other pages in between. It is different to when I was in the depths of depression, back then I'd just sleep most of the time and not bother to get out of my dressing gown for weeks.  I am pleased to report that I am at least getting up, getting dressed and showering. I am finding it hard to get out the front door by myself, but I am certainly going to try this week.

I think I need a craft project to keep me busy, I am trying to complete NaNoWriMo at the moment but it is really hard to write when in this mood but I am soldiering on.

If anyone feels like setting me a mini out the front door challenge then please do :)

6 comments:

  1. Now is the time to get your camera out and go exploring. You notice all the different & interesting things in the early days - everything that makes Germany unique.

    Why not make your mum a photobook for Christmas depicting your first few months abroad? I did one last year for both my mum and mother-in-law(ish) of our first 6 months and they both loved it - so guess what they're getting this year...ha, ha!

    Fret not about Guy Fawkes Night - we have Laterne Fest coming up and then glorious Christmas markets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second that, Fiona. Grab a camera and have a good wander! Getting lost in a new city is great and it doesn't last forever... enjoy it while you can! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love that idea, My Dad is always making books of his photo's so I bet he would love one too! Going to check through what I have already and then grab my camera and get out later in the week, I am stuck in waiting for someone to do something today :(

    I think I am going to see if I can find a good craft shop in town too, as I have decided I am going to make our Christmas decorations this year... so we may just end up with paper chains made from newspaper but still, it's the thought that counts right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where did my comment go?!! I hate blogger :( Unless of course I said something awful and you deleted it?!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh,no I would never delete your comment! I have checked the spam folder in case you said something they randomly deemed to be spam but not there either I'm afraid :'(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blogger and I are not really friends at the moment :(

    ReplyDelete